The eye hospital was the life work of the ophthalmologist His Highness Dr. Duke Carl Theodor in Bayern. His widow, Duchess Maria Josefa, established a foundation in 1917 to continue her husband’s life work and to ensure its long term existence. This she achieved. The eye hospital at Nymphenburger Straße 43 has been in existence for more than 115 years. The continued running of this specialist hospital and the maintenance of its high level of treatment quality remain the primary aims of the Herzog Carl Theodor Eye Hospital Foundation. The foundation also sponsors academic ophthalmology research. The equal treatment of all patients has always been a prime concern of this charitable foundation.
All treatment forms are therefore open to all patients, irrespective of whether they have state or private insurance or whether they are self-paying. Underprivileged patients have the possibility of being treated free of charge.